I love navy blue ! Anyone who follows my blog probably has figured that out by now because most of what I make is navy blue. Plus, it's such a classic colour and I do love classic pieces. Today, I'm going to show you three.
A couple of weeks ago, I went to Vancouver to help my grand-daughter, Jessica move her stuff home for the summer. She goes to Simon Fraser University there. I wanted to travel with only a carry on and of course planned my travel wardrobe around navy blue.
My outerwear piece for my trip was a cape I copied from one my friend Ruth owns and it became one of the projects my Winter Sewing Group decided to tackle this year.. Here is my version
The fabric is a two sided coating fabric but I chose not to make it reversible. Here is a second way to wear it. This photo was taken before I added the buttons.
The trim is a medium weight cotton knit that I used as a faux bias trim . I cut strips of fabric, sewed it to the edges, wrapped it it around and stitched in the ditch. I trimmed away excess fabric from the inside and voila,it looks like bias trim! My closures are a combination of wooden buttons and snaps.
Here is a look at the inside and how the trim looks. This treatment would not be for a perfectionist but for this project, I'm satisfied with how it looks.
All other edges of my cape were simply serged.
I only had 1.25 meters of this fabric and was unable to completely match the back plaid as you can see in this photo. It was the end of the bolt so .....
A peek at my Hong Kong finished seams. I used a rust plaid taffeta from my stash.
I managed to get a photo of one time I wore my cape but not in Vancouver, unfortunately.
For my trip, I made another sailor look boat neck top using Burda 6988. The fabric for this one is the same as for the dress I posted about a couple of weeks ago. I used the mini stripe side as you can see.
To make it a little more special, I used the chain stitch on my cover stitch machine
Then I made culottes using Butterick 4861, now OOP and scuba knit fabric. I wanted pockets but instead of the inseam ones from the pattern, I decided on large patch pockets sewn across the side seams. I like this look very much.
Although I hoped the cape would look well with these two pieces, in the end I realized they weren't meant to be together and I packed this sweater made last March . I provided extra warmth for the chilly weather we experienced in Vancouver.
The sun is finally shining here today and it's finally time for spring clothes! Si I'm going to put this sweater away but the culottes and top are just right for today's temperature soI'll leave them on.
I'm in tyhe process of making a cotton sateen wrap dress. I should have it ready by next week so
please come take a look.
Have a great week .