Sunday, January 9, 2011

Catching up

Isn't Christmas hard work?

Once again my DH has asked me to promise to simplify gift giving, decorating.etc. for next year and I really,really intend to keep my promise this time. (?). But can you really teach an old dog new tricks? My problem is I don't know the limits to my strength and I push myself too much until I get sick which I am and have been since
Christmas day.

Enough of that. I hope everyone in sewing Blogland has had a peaceful and happy Christmas surrounded by your loved ones. We surely did. and a belated happy New Year to you all!

On to sewing stuff. This year, I only made two sewn gifts . For Tamara,my DD, I made this.



The top is a poly/acrylic sweater knitin the perfect colour for DD and she's promised to send me a photo. The pattern is V8597
I altered the cowl collar and it sat beautifully on the neckline unlike the one I made DD last winter.


To see how I altered the cowl collar on this top, please visit my other blog where I've posted the details.

The skirt is S1234 but is OOP.The fabric is black Ponti knit and it worked really well for this style. DD loved the whole outfit and would now like a gored dress with a cowl collar.

The second sewn gift I made was for my step grand-daughter Jessica who is 17 and lives in Ottawa. She innocently asked if I could make her a "boyfriend" blazer and how could I refuse! Armed with her measurements which i took during my October trip ,
I decided to give it a try. Here it is and she tells me it fits her perfectly. Now that was a relief!!



The pattern was McCall's 6172 by Palmer & Pletsch and I highly recommend it.
The fabric is an RPL and worked beautifully for this style..
The lining was a poly satin in shades of grey and black ( I can't think of the term for this shading process).







That's all I have in me for now.
Have a great week and Happy sewing!

11 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Both are absolutely beautiful! I'm sure they were both appreciated!

Vicki said...

Happy New Year! And I hope you are feeling better soon :)
Lovely outfit for Tamara and the boyfriend jacket turned out beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I was wondering where you were because there had been no posts for ages ;)
Glad to hear you are on the mend, get completely better soon, I hope.
Your garments are beautiful!

Gail said...

Happy New Year. The boyfriend jacket is an amazing gift. There'll be no wicked step stories about you!

Lori said...

Two gorgeous garments. I bet they were thrilled.

Karin said...

Yes! Christmas is hard work. My last set of house guests just left this morning! I haven't sewn a stitch in months. Both your top and jacket look great. Have a great 2011!

Ann Made Studio said...

Happy New Year Diana! I hope you are feeling better!

Both pieces are beautiful...I'm sure they were both happy
to receive them :)

Linda T said...

Love the cowl top--the color and the way you "fixed" the collar. I didn't know until today you had another blog. Now I have a new favorite added to my list! Awful being sick during the holiday. I had two rounds of some respiratory "crud" so I understand. Hope you are back to 100% soon!

Jenny said...

Both lovely gifts! I just love a cowl-neck sweater. I love that whole outfit for your daughter. I hope to find some nice sweater knits this year.

gwensews said...

Those are both fantastic garments. What lucky recepients! You tailored that jacket beautifully. And, your tutorial on cowl necklines is wonderful. Thank you.

Chris said...

Glad you are back and feeling better. As usual you outfits you made are beautiful, what wonderful gifts they were!
Happy New Year!