Well here it is at last...Tamara's coat! ( made from pattern S2764 ).I'm so very glad to not only be finished,but to love it as well! I'm satisfied with the end result and confident that it will fit Tamara.I'm always so nervous that what I make won't fit and that's probably silly because I have Antoinette dialed to her measurements, but there's always that possibility.
I really like the lay of the collar on this garment.
The buttons were from my stash and came from Frenchy's, a local second hand store where I find great buttons.
It just happens too, that the back of the coat fits me perfectly so I'll be making this coat for myself after a major FBA and I may just leave out the front and back pleats too.
I had originally planned on making bound buttonholes for it but to save time I used my new sewing machine which makes very good buttonholes (knock on wood).Having said that, the bound ones would have been more professional looking.
My only doubt is whether DD will like the sleeves.She may find them a bit wide.
Have a look at the red satin lining.Isn't it pretty? You'll notice the facings are not made out of the coat fabric. I didn't have enough so I used a suit-weight linen instead.
I used a polyester silky houndstooth to make bias for the piping between the facings and lining
and the Hong Kong finish at the bottom of the facing.
I attached the lining to the bottom of the coat with a thread chain at each seam.
Although the coat is too small for me through the chest, I thought I'd include a pic of me wearing it because,DD will probably never send me a photo of her wearing it. So here it is! Let me know what you think.
If you're interested, I've published a tutorial entitled How to make Your Coat Look More Professional on my other blog,Diana's Sewing Lessons.