Sunday, September 8, 2019

My Summer Sewing





Well ! Again it's been a while ! Somehow, blogging has stopped being one of my "Things to do on Sunday " In any case, I've had a lovely time sewing just for me this summer. I've dug in my stash and used some fabrics that have been lingering far too long. Now don't get me wrong. I've also added to the stash at an alarming rate too. I'll never live long enough to sew all that stuff up , but ,oh well,. We all do it, don't we !

I'll start with a new dress I made a couple of weeks ago. I used an OOP  Vogue Designer pattern that I made 12 years ago and still have in my closet. It's 2900  by  DKNY



Here is my original dress  made from an embroidered cotton voile.



And here is the new one made using a stretch poly sateen.

k


The original was lined but I didn't line this one as I wanted to get to wear it before summer's end so it had to be a quick make. Luckily, my weight has stayed pretty much the same for the last 15 years or so.The only alteration I had to add to the pattern was a rounded back adjustment.  This is s a great church dress worn with
a purchased little cover-up (no pic ) .








The next piece I want to show you is a dress I made for a special event My husband and I attended last June. I resisted making a cocktail dress that I would never wear again. Instead, I chose this pattern ,bought on ebay because I made it in 1980.



In 1980, I made it out of black wool jersey purchased at Natural Fibers  Fabric Club.  I loved that dress and although  my shape has changed a lot since then, I thought I could make the pattern work for the evolved me.

Here it is on Antoinette.



The fabric is a very drapey (maybe too drapey ) , rayon jersey. I chose it because it was available in the opposites print. The difference is not very discernible but I was happy with the result.



I remembered that in 1980, the zipper in the wool jersey had given me a lot of trouble so I decided to leave it out in this dress. It easily slips over my head in spite of the waistline seam.









I wore this one to church this morning and I think I was the only woman who hasn't already switched to fall clothes !! So sad to see summer end !

I get  compliments whenever  I wear my retro dresses especially from my hubby.
I like the longer lengths and the fuller skirts for a change.

That's it for now. I hope to be back again soon to show all the shirts I made this summer. I sort of got carried away, LOL.

have a great week everyone from





                                          


21 comments:

Caroline Beckenhaupt said...

Very nice, Diana! TY 4 sharing! Like the "historical" compare & contrast. All the best!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Both are lovely dresses and I can't wait to see the shirts!

beckster said...

These dresses are truly great makes. They look chic, comfortable, and versatile. I like fuller skirts on dresses as well, especially in the hot weather. Look forward to seeing what else you have been up to!

Linda T said...

Good to see you again! I have that first pattern and keep intending to make it............ and so it goes! I wish we were done with summer....today is expected 98 or 99 (but that is just Texas). We may not see fall until late October or November...... Love your dresses!

Chris T said...

Two lovely makes from you, you are giving me lots of ideas, thank you.

Audrey said...

Both are really lovely dresses. Love how you used the two related prints in the second dress.

Ann Brodsky said...

Beautiful dresses! Just goes to show that you don't always need to buy new patterns. Really love your fabric in the first one.

Judy A. said...

Beautiful dresses and you look great as always. You always match great fabric to the pattern--thanks for sharing--big fan!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

I am not switching to fall until I HAVE to switch to fall!!! :)

I love both dresses but those opposite black and white prints are really stunning together!

Marianne said...

Lovely dresses! I'm also not giving up on summer yet. Good to see you here again and looking forward to the shirts!

Judith said...

Diana, both dresses are lovely!

Wendy said...

I just found your blog! I’ve been having the best time s rolling through back post and seeing all your creations! You are a marvelous fiber artist - PLEASE don’t stop blogging!

Wendy W.
Indiana, USA

Abbey Sews said...

So pretty. Hope you are well. Abbey sews

Nan said...

Hi Diana,
It has been a while since I visited and a while since you posted. I can understand your moving on to other things. We all do but then we generally return to our passion. I hope this is still one of your passions because I just love what you do. You are so inspirational. I live my dreams of sewing things through you. I love your choices in patterns and fabrics and you look wonderful in what you sew. You know what is right for you.
Thank you for everything you have posted and the sewing helps. Please keep this blog up even if you don't update it. It has valuable information. I hope you and your family are well in the midst of this crisis. I have been sewing some masks. Sewing is such a wonderful outlet.
Blessings to you and yours. Nan, State of Missouri, USA

Jasmine Lopez said...

서초오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐서초마사지⟐서초안마⟐서초유흥⟐서초휴게텔⟐서초풀싸롱⟐서초키스방⟐서초건마⟐서초리얼돌⟐서초출장안마⟐서초룸싸롱⟐서초OP

Jasmine Lopez said...

종로오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐종로마사지⟐종로안마⟐종로유흥⟐종로휴게텔⟐종로풀싸롱⟐종로키스방⟐종로건마⟐종로리얼돌⟐종로출장안마⟐종로룸싸롱⟐종로OP

jane holly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

Meu glorioso São José nos abençoe o nosso Brasil são tem piedade dos dessempregado e todos os moradores de rua Amèm

Jessica L. Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BettieM.Peter said...

Nice choice! Sewing patterns allows us to experiment with different combinations and design ideas. I love when I am able to dig into my stash too so I'm less likely need to make last minute trips to the fabric store which can be very time consuming and tiring. Anyhow your sewing patterns look so professional, however the one that I like the most is, the one you made with the stretch poly sateen!