Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sewing What I Need

I always use the time right after Christmas to consider what I really need to sew. This year, I needed pj's and a new robe. I didn't really enjoy making this robe but I thought it was worth showing since it was such a  pain to make.



The fabric is a very weighty cotton  chenille from my stash. Sewing with it was a pain in the a--! it produced fluff and stuff that settled all over the house, I raced to get it finished so I could vacuum  because I can't stand a mess.

I used V1234 an OOP pattern as my starting point.




 I enlarged the collar and  made the robe floor length.

I used a pretty cotton print as the facings to make it a little less bulky. I didn't really like the collar that way so I cut a strip of the chenille and sewed it as a trim around the collar. Much better, I think.



I added  a favorite pocket of mine , also made out of the cotton print.







I fastened  the tie belt at center back waist  instead of using carriers and also added ties on the inside waist for a secure closing and I was done.

The PJ's are going to have to wait a little while because I'm chomping at the bits to make something fun.

More later from


16 comments:

Vicki said...

May have been a pain but it sure turned out lovely!

Evelyne said...

That looks really comfy!! and what a fab idea using a blouse and just adding length.

Judith said...

Looks great - super idea with the pattern!

Summer Flies said...

Such vision to use that pattern. It looks fantastic with the extra trim... I can see that would be a huge pain but it's a very nice robe.

Linda T said...

I love your use of the cotton and the trim on the collar. Fabulous robe. Looks so cozy.

Amanda S. said...

I love this! All the details make for a very special bathrobe!

shams said...

Fabulous, Diana! Really fabulous!

Sharon said...

Cozy looking robe and love your idea for the collar.

Andrea said...

Such a pretty robe, Diana! Love the little details you added! Would you be interested in detailing how you made the pocket?

Aminat said...

Wow, this is one fabulous robe

gwensews said...

That is a very nice robe. Some of the chenille is awful, and I hope yours is not one that never quits shedding. I had a robe that continued to release it's fibers regardless of how many times it was washed.

Dixie said...

Despite the fluff all over the house, this turned out great. Using the print was a smart idea. It adds a lot of interest to the lapels and cool pockets. Really nice!

Claire S. said...

ooh nice ! I'd love a new robe but the old one,while it's just fleece, is nice and heavyweight, nice and long, and nice and cozy - it's just old. One of these days I'll find a comparable fabric and make a new one.

velosews said...

Diana, I'd be swanning around the house in that gorgeous robe.
Where's the 'champers' dear?

Ronnie said...

Diana

I do not know how your come up with your ideas but once again your dressing gown is great wish I had one
Ronnie

Unknown said...

Don't you just love it when you are able to re-purpose a sewing pattern? That robe is stunning! No doubt the top made from the pattern that you used to create this robe is just as gorgeous. Keep up the great work.