Sunday, January 27, 2013

What was I Thinking! and a Nice Basic Pullover

Do you ever come home from the fabric store with a piece of fabric that is just plain ugly?
It doesn't happen to me often but I think you'll agree that the fabric used in one of the garments I\ll show you today is.

So here goes!


See? I told you!

The only reason I ended up using it was to try out Butterick 5524 . I think this would be a good project for my Sewing Group but I don't think my sample will help me very much to sell it to the ladies though!



One positive thing about the fabric was its selvage which I used to trim the hem, sleeves and pocket edges.


As for the pattern, I made View B. I find the neckline and collar are too small. I would make them larger another time. Also, I felt compelled to raise the  underarm three inches .I would also make it a couple of inches shorter too if I were to try this in a prettier fabric.

On a brighter side, I had a black cable sweater knit that screamed out it wanted to be a boat neck pullover and I love this piece. I've already worn it three times this week and gotten lots of compliments.


I would have preferred long sleeves but I didn't have the yardage.

I used Burda Style , Feb./09, #108. This is a close fitting top so I cut the largest size and it fit just right.I scooped out the front neckline 5/8" and was satisfied with that.

To finish hems and neck facings ,I tried something different. I used a lighter weight knit together with Fusi knit interfacing which I sewed with wrong sides facing out. After sewing to neckline, bottom of sleeves and hem, I fused the facings in place , then hand stitched as well. It made a nice neat finish to the neckline ,sleeves and hem and no stitching shows on the outside..


I did my usual FBA and added a bust dart.


This is the first piece in a series of what I'm calling Classic Basics. I have too many silly looking tops made in the last couple of years. I really prefer to dress in simple lines and that is my fashion goal for 2013.


I'm wearing my boat neck top with a skirt I made for Swap 2009 and which I still love .

Hope you found time to sew this week.Next week, I'll show you what I did with V8817.




16 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I really like the black cable pullover! The Classic Basics Collection sounds fantastic!

pdiddly said...

Shame about the fabric, but I am sure your group will look past the fabric and direct their attention towards the style of the pattern.

I love you black cable pullover, and I agree with you, you can't have too many basics.

Evelyne said...

I too like the black cable pullover. Hmm, the fabric is a bit busy but you could use it later - refashion etc. I too have walked away and asked myself the same question - why did I buy that - now, I step back and remember all my wrong fabric choices, think twice, then walk away. I'm getting better at choosing fabrics.

Linda T said...

OOPS! I've had some fabric like that--busy, busy that just didn't work. But, you certainly hit a home run with that black cable Basic. I'm hoping to get more basics in my closet this year. That type is what I seem to grab quickly off of the hangers.

Judith said...

Classic Basics are just always the best, go with everything and look stylish - just like your black cable pullover!

Sharon said...

Lovely black cable pullover and I look forward to seeing The Classic Basics Collection.

Amanda S. said...

Great pullover! I'm excited to see what you did with that vogue.

Dixie said...

That black cable knit pullover is to die for. I can understand why you're getting lots of compliments on it.
I don't think the other fabric is so ugly. It is quite busy but it looks *ok* in the top you made. Good you could use it for something!

twotoast said...

The cable top is fabulous. I find it can be quite boring to sew up plain 'staples', but let's face it - those are the garments we wear all the time and that we love so much!!

Lori said...

First off, you are not alone on "what I was thinking" moments! LOL. Secondly, love your black cable sweater, looks fantastic.

gwensews said...

That pullover isn't so bad, at least in your photo. The sweater knit is awesome. Looks very chic, especially with the belt.

Bunny said...

I like the pullover but agree with you on the length issue. Maybe just take the hem up a bit?

Your black cable top is very nice and looks great. Never can have too many nice black tops.

Jean said...

Your black cable pullover is just lovely! I love how you styled it with the skirt, boots and belt.

Vicki said...

Oh well at least that "ugly" fabric is out of the stash now :) The black top is a winner for sure.

Cathy said...

I think the "ugly" fabric would be fine as a simple skirt.

Cathy said...

I think the "ugly" fabric would be fine as a simple skirt.