Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Jean Jacket, V7610

 In the spring, I suggested to my  sewing  class , which consists of three great ladies who are so willing to take their sewing to a higher level, that they make a jean jacket for their next project. I reasoned that cotton or denim are both very easy to sew and a jean jacket really is my favorite thing to work on .I wasn't wrong and they have enjoyed the process very much.

We used this OOp pattern V7610 by Sandra Betzina.




I don't have pics of their completed jackets yet but I'll show you the one I made to illustrate each step along the way.


The fabric is a heavy weight denim which reverses from brown to dark blue. It was in a bin at Fabricville and there was only  a meager meter and it had a serious flaw running the width of the piece close to one end. I cut 3/8" seam allowances and somehow managed to avoid the flaw and to cut all the pieces except the facings.

because of the 3/8" seams , I couldn't Hong Kong finish my seams ,so I serged them using a decorative rayon serger thread. Looks great doesn't it!


I used a denim look print for the  facings.

I changed the shape of the pocket to make it easier for all of us. That rounded pocket with the center point is not easy to achieve and I wanted to avoid the aggravation I knew that would cause.As you see, I used navy top stitching thread  because some of the blue is visible through the brown  in this fabric and I love the look.
Don't you love the buttons I found at Fabricville? They are a coppery brass colour and just perfect!.


Oh dear. The back is wrinkled but you can tell I've already enjoyed wearing my jacket and I have to tell you , I felt pretty cool with it worn with dark blue denim skinny jeans and a navy Tshirt.






I love this thing and so do my ladies. I can promise that you'll be impressed with their results when I post them.

More later from


15 comments:

SewCraftyChemist said...

Teach me!!!! :) I love this so much!

Have you seen or do you own KS 2885? If so how do you think it compared to the Vogue? I really want to make a jean jacket but I've been scared!

velosews said...

Great jacket. Those creases prove you actually wear this lovely piece. Great idea for finishing those seams.

shams said...

That is a beautiful version, Diana!

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Beautiful work and your top stitching is just perfect.

Sue said...

Beautiful workmanship! Looks great on you too!

Sue said...

Beautiful workmanship! Looks great on you too!

Cathryn said...

Love, love, love this jacket! I wish I could be one of your sewing ladies! :-)

Donna D said...

Diana's version is an inspiration. She is meticulous in her top stitching, and although we finished our seams the Hong Kong way, our next Jean Jacket will utilize the serging method with the variegated thread. Both Karen and I made our first jackets out of cotton pique, with a stretch light denim for the facings. Our next jackets will be denim. You can see mine at http://www.learningwithdonna.com/2014/11/sandra-betzinas-jean-jacket-vogue-7610.html, but I'm sure that Diana will post some photos on her blog after tonight's sewing lesson.

Amanda S. said...

Ooh, I love this on you! The topstitching is impeccable. I can't believe you squeezed this out of so little fabric!

Su-z said...

As always, it's gorgeous! I love the serged seams. Can't believe you got a whole jacket out of a meter

Vicki said...

Love the blue stitching. So perfect!

Faye Lewis said...

Nice jacket Diana.

Sarah Liz said...

I wished I lived closer to you Diana - I'd be joining your group, I think :). Instead I enjoy your blog very much and learn much from your wonderful sewing skills that you share with us.

And, the jacket looks great too :)

Nanna said...

beautiful job on the jacket!

Helen

Leigh in Portland (we are not burning down) said...

Super cute!! I have that pattern!! and some denim... Thanks for the tip on the pockets. That's a good idea. And I really like the variegated thread inside. It's always fun to have a little surprise on the inside.