When I made this dress for DD this winter,
I tried it on and knew that all I needed was an FBA and it would fit me.
I made the 3/4 sleeved version out of black ponti but didn't quite finish it because it was just too late to wear it so I've put it aside until the early fall. It fit very well in the knit fabric at size 12.
The version in this post is the sleeveless A-line view in a cotton( with 30% polyester )jacquard which of course has no stretch. I knew I'd have to cut it bigger so I added an inch to the seam allowance. I only needed 3/8 " of the extra but I was really glad I had it to use.
The changes I made to the pattern are as follows: besides doing my usual FBA, I cut the neck about an inch lower in the front and I added two inches to the length of the dress when I was cutting it out. That afforded me a nice wide hem which gave the skirt a little needed weight as this fabric is very light.
I added piping made out of the same fabric to the waistband and the neckline for a little added interest.
I used an invisible zipper closure which I inserted using my brand new invisible zipper foot which almost was my undoing. I ruined the first zip (the navy blue one) and fortunately I had a dark blue one on hand and it went in without a hitch.
The dress is lined in a semi sheer silk something or other that I had in my stash.I chose to add neck and armhole facings which I slip stitched to the lining on the inside.
So here it is all ready to be worn at a banquet my DH and I are attending in Montreal next week. I hope it doesn't look too homemade beside what other women will be wearing. Sometimes I find that is the case. I do like to be different but sometimes it bothers me that I am.I guess one is never too old to want to fit in!
I've put a short tutorial on Fixing a Gaping Armhole here if you're interested (or see my sidebar)