As soon as I saw this beauty from Vogue's Fall patterns (V1465 ), I knew I would make it my own.
The problem I had was that I thought I should make a reversible garment with my fabric and for me that means as few seams as possible. I had the idea of blending the two front and two back pieces together to make one front piece and one back piece.
I was hesitant because of the princess lines but I overlapped the front pieces and traced , repositioning the side front as needed. When I was finished, I wasn't confident that the new front would hang properly. I remembered this pattern, M 5937, now OOP, that I made up here.
I also used the McCall sleeves.
Here is what I came up with .
And on the reverse side
How did I make my topper reversible you ask!
By using flat felled seams and lots and lots of Wonder Tape and when I ran out, lots of Steam-a-Seam.
Have a look at some of my seams.
Every seam I sewed , including the top stitching on the collar . got a little help with one or the other of the above mentioned products.
I should mention that The Donna Karan pattern had a great way to deal with mitered corners and I even used that technique when I decided to face the hem so the grey side would not have black showing. I do admit that mitering that corner was not necessarily a good thing in retrospect. But the corners were cut like this, you see
and I intend to use this again next time I want mitered corners.
I really am happy with this jacket and I really prefer it open.
and it will be in my closet for many years to come.
However, someone has to stop me from making more black, grey or red clothes ! I seem to be obsessed with those three colours !
This is how I'll wear this piece.
I guess you can tell I prefer the black side!
On to doll clothes making now for my Riley's birthday.
Happy sewing to all.