Monday, July 30, 2012

Vogue 8710, a Katherine Tilrton Top

When making Vogue 8710, most people have made View B (the striped top), and I intend to make it for the fall.



 For the spring/summer season, I made two versions of View A. Here is the first one.



Details and comments:

Fabric: 100% cotton knit (quite thick)

Sizing:  I made a medium and I didn't need any extra at side seams.
          I made my usual Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and it was too big. I had to use 1/2"  
               

 Directions:  Were clear but the sleeve insertion was really weird. They are top stitched to the armscye
 with the help of Steam-a-Seam!

 The two pleats form a kind of flat puff which looks a little funny so I've added  shoulder pads  and                                                                                                                                           extended them into the sleeve to give a more pleasing look

.  

Design Element: The fabric is lovely and I love its weight but it curled unmercifully during                                   construction. When I noticed that narrow strips curled nicely on each side I decided to experiment
 with the neckline . Here is a close-up of the flowers I fashioned.   



I sewed the strips by hand,starting with the middle one and forming the flowers as I went. I loved doing this. It was relaxing and only took about an hour to finish. Here is what the underside looks like. I didn't add stabilizer because of the weight of the fabric.


       I  love this top and have worn it a couple of times already. Skirt is an old favorite of mine S5005 that I've had for many years.



      My second version is a sleeveless one using the same fabric in white.

      This time I used a purchased  trim to form another design of flowers ,a more subtle one.


This white top was very needed in my wardrobe and is very cool in this hot weather. Worn below with a cotton skirt S2764 ( I made an identical one for my DD).


    That's it for now. I have company coming for a couple of weeks but I hope to have time to blog my Burda Style rain jacket that I've finally finished!


Hope you've had time to sew this week! More later from


            

10 comments:

Judith said...

Super tops for summer!!! With the sleeveless top, did you sew the trim on by hand as well???

Lori said...

Super cute tops, really like the flowers.

Andrea said...

I never noticed the short sleeve versions of this pattern! Love the flowers.

Vicki said...

Nice tops. Good job with those flowers too.

pdiddly said...

great little tops - love the flowers

velosews said...

Your neckline features are really pretty:)

Jenny said...

Very pretty top!

Sharon said...

Love the flowers and they are cute tops.

gwensews said...

Those are lovely. Embellished necklines are popular. I like the rosettes you made on the yellow top.

Summer Flies said...

These are really lovely tops. I especially love the greeny coloured one and the lovely flowers you made. The skirt worn with that is very nice too.