Monday, September 25, 2017

Vogue 1552, Sandra Betzina's New Dress Pattern


Vogue 1552 really caught my eye as soon as I saw it and nothing could talk me out of it. The problem is that no one wears clothes like this in my world . And not only did I make it up once, but I made two all in one day !!


Here is my mock up version .
It sure doesn't have very much dress form appeal !


\i'm not quite sure what the fabric content is but it feels and looks like a lightweight burnt out cotton knit.

Having examined the pattern pieces, I knew that the bottom of the dress would be too narrow for my liking.

For my first version , I simply added a bit of seam allowance at the bottom of the back and sewed a slit opening.



Here it is on me. A little better I think than the dress form. I'm at a workshop I'm giving on my own version of Vogue 8605.



For my second version, or View A, I added about 2" to the bottom side seams like this.


The fabric is a poly / lycra. The sleeves and collar, rayon /lycra.

Here it is on the dress form


I think the collar should be deeper and I wish I had used my own method for a cowl collar instead .





And on my sister Pauline, who is more petite than me so it looks a bit large on her.


and weeeeee!!!!



We started to play with the dress and discovered we could wear it this way


And this way




When I showed my hubby this one he said,
"Well, what's wrong with that ? "
His code words for " I don't like it " Lol.

But, I think it's kind of fun and if the curve started lower and closer to the waistline, it would look a lot better. I doubt I'll make it again though !

Has anyone else made this dress and what do you think of it ?




7 comments:

Linda T said...

I have the pattern and plan to make it. I recently made the Katheryn Brenne dress (new vogue pattern) and I like it. The Betzina and Brenne are similar in some ways with the "triangle" of extra fabric at the sides. Haven't made any photos or blogged about it yet, however.

I like it on you!

Irene said...

I rather like this dress on you. The fact that you can "play" with the sides makes this even more interesting.

Nancy K said...

It's a hobble skirt! Not my style but the tied version looks good on you.

Coco said...

Fun post! I was drawn to this dress as well, but then decided it's so similar to her V1297, which I have, that I didn't need another one. As you did, I added some width to the lower side seams for 'walkability. It's cute on you! and I agree, it can be a leap to wear this silhouette/vibe. But it can be fun too. I always get a compliment when I wear my V1297, so there's something about the funky design that really appeals to people :-)

Vicki said...

Hmm. I don't like the look of the pattern at all. But your versions are cute and you did have fun.

Unknown said...

I made the dress, but knee length and I love it! I plan to make more. Nice job with yours.

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.