I'm really interested in rotating darts at the moment and have been practicing by making simple tops. For the one I'm showing today , I opened up my DD bust dart in both the shoulder and center front areas.It's a simple process if you have the patience to make a copy of a pattern and to work methodically. There's quite a bit of cutting ,spreading, and taping involved. For more details if you want them, go here to Diana's Sewing Lessons.
Here is what my pattern front looks like before and after rotating the dart.
Before starting, I used Sally Silhouette to design a top I thought would go well with last summer's fun palazzo pant. I gave the Sandra Betzina top to my DGD because it was too fitted for my taste.
I curved the CF seam at the bottom by using my Design Stylus.
I turned the hem under 5/8" in the front but for the back, I sewed a 1 1/2 " facing because I cut it a little too short
This photo is a little pale but it shows the shirring at the shoulders and CF where I opened the bust dart.
The back is just plain.
Here's an "action " shot taken at our Family get-together which we hosted.
Now as for the topper, this is what I planned to do.
I changed my mind when I started to draft the pattern and I don't love the result. The polyester lace is not drapey enough and is a little too thick to tie at the waist nicely but this is what I did to the front bodice. pattern
Here it is with this remodeled 10 year old dress that use to look like this .
These white Coldwater creek jeans,
and of course my wild and crazy palazzos. ( I admit the pics are quite washed out. I didn't pay attention to the settings !!)
I'm sewing up a storm this week. My son left for home with my Riley and Poppy on Sunday . I was one tired Nana and I decided to do whatever I pleased this week so of course that was to sew! Such fun! I'll have lots to show you next time so please come back to see me.
Happy sewing from