Friday, November 22, 2013

My Quilted Jacket, I Love it!




Success! It feels good, doesn't it!  Here is my new love.


 
Now it didn't happen without a struggle. In my mind, I saw a trapeze shape. In reality, I didn't have enough fabric. ( I didn't notice that it was only 48" wide , so I didn't buy enough ).

I used B5822 B5822  View A/B but in a length in between the two.The photo looks much wider at the bottom than it actually is, I think. This was how I envisioned it.






I wanted a roomy,light weight jacket  that would fit over a warm sweater to wear in the fall, especially to take to Ottawa with me (I always go to Ottawa in mid October and end of April, and never seem to have the right outerwear with me). So I made size medium.  Mistake,. Way too big! Sad because I had meticulously altered my pattern using my Craftsy classes Adjusting the Bust and  Adjusting the Shoulders and Back  with Katherine Cheetham . I highly recommend these two courses, by the way.

I know, you're probably asking "What! You didn't make a muslin, AGAIN? "  Nope!

I ended up taking off the sleeves, redoing my alterations for narrow sloped shoulders for size small , re cutting my sleeves and upper bodice front and back in small  and that made all the difference.

I didn't want double breasted. I cut the front as was and then used part of it as the front facing. I expected this  to result in  a single breasted  style but not so. I ended up with somewhere in between.
Because of this I had to give up the toggle closures I had planned. They just wouldn't do. I decided on bound buttonholes and leather shank buttons instead.

 






I opted for no collar because I didn't have enough fabric for one but I like this look. I can use different scarves to style my jacket. The bias  trim is faux leather . I made it myself. I would have preferred real leather  but I didn't have any.

My pockets come from V 8065, an old favorite of mine. Details on how these are made are at Diana's Sewing Lessons. I changed them up by adding a classic welt opening. The flap is faux leather but the pocket circumference is  a trim I had in my stash.



The  cuffs on the sleeves are constructed differently than the pattern instructions. I wanted the trim at the top  of the cuffs so I sewed them from the wrong side , brought them to the front and stitched in the ditched on the outside where the trim is .

I decided not to line my coat. I could have saved a lot of time if I had. Instead , I finished each seam a la Hong Kong with a silk/cotton animal print.



Now for a pic



or two,


or three,


etc....





I know that's a lot of photos, but it was such fun styling this coat!
My jacket is very comfortable and just right for those days before the bitter cold strikes.

And that's the end of the story! (More pics here.)

I hope you too had fun sewing this week. Come back again to see more from




22 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely Stunning! You are so talented in sewing and in fashion, knowing what looks best on you.
Have a Blessed day,
Sherry

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is just stunning! I especially love how you've used the black trim so successfully. Gorgeous!

Linda T said...

Wonderful, beautiful coat! It looks so good on you,too!

Joy said...

That's going to serve you well for years .. just a classic beauty! Your creations are always so perfectly finished, inside and out.

I LOVE that fabric .. would appreciate it if you would please describe its composition, if it's backed and your source when you have a moment.

Enjoy it.

~Joy~

Sewingadicta said...

This will be one of those "garments - star" in your closet! Love it! Perfect, elegant, special details, and it combines well with all ... It's great! You are my hero, dear Diana.

Claire S. said...

Oh my goodness ! Now there's a coat you'll reach for over and over, I love it !

bluenines said...

lovely fall, spring coat, you will get many years of wear out of it, love the idea of using different scarves for the caller, happy sewing to all

Diana said...

Thank you all so much ladies. I do love this one and it feels wonderful on. Joy, you asked where I got my fabric and the content. I bought it at C&M Textiles in Montreal (on Rue Saint Hubert ) I believe it's a cotton /Poly blend backed with tricot. It was quite pricey at over $20.00 a meter! Claire the next time I go to Montreal, I'll let you know. It would be great to have a meet up.

Vicki said...

How perfect! Obviously goes with lots of things in your wardrobe. All the black trim and details really make the coat. Inside is perfect too.

Faye Lewis said...

Magnificent Diana, I love it!

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Absolutely stunning inside and out. Your sewing skills are impeccable. Love all the ways you have styled it too.

Sarah Liz said...

I love the way you turned every little obstacle along the way into the opportunity to create something really beautiful.

Andrea said...

Beautiful Diana, the details in your jacket are gorgeous. I like the collarless look also, especially with turtlenecks and scarves. Another amazing piece by Diana!

Towanda said...

Love it. I like the collarless look. Great jacket.

shams said...

Well, I can see why this is your new obsession!! I uber love this coat! Everything about it!

Sharon said...

Love it and prefer the straighter line.

Jane M said...

Breathtakingly beautiful. You are showing off the fabric with the simple lines but the trim and that gorgeous pocket kicks it up several notches. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Diana, this is so lovely! The details really make this jacket! I found your blog through the comment you left on the Mood Sewing Network blog, and I'm so glad I did. Beautiful work!

Sarah Liz said...

Dianne, I think you left a comment for me about wanting to join the "Make a Garment a Month Challenge". I am not sure if this jacket is for that challenge or not - I am assuming not, because it has no indication that it is. I don't post things unless I am sure. I don't want to be a nuisance, but let me know if this is your garment. Either comment on my blog, or send me an email, stylishsarah251@gmail.com.

Your sewing is always beautiful - so well finished, always thought out.

Jean said...

I love this coat! It looks wonderful on you, especially the collarless neckline. Was it easy to sew the faux leather trim? I'm planning a little swing jacket that I want to add leather trim to -- and yours is how I envisioned mine to look like. Great job!

Diana said...

Jean,Thank you for the kind comment. My trim is faux leather and it was not easy to sew. I used my walking foot and that worked well but in order to make it move against the bed of the machine I had to use strips of tissue paper under the seams I was sewing. Real leather is not as hard to sew in my experience.I just didn't have any on hand.

Unknown said...

That coat is awesome. I know it's going to keep you nice and warm all winter, too. Take care and enjoy the holidays. Looking forward to seeing lots more in 2014.