Now it didn't happen without a struggle. In my mind, I saw a trapeze shape. In reality, I didn't have enough fabric. ( I didn't notice that it was only 48" wide , so I didn't buy enough ).
I used B5822 View A/B but in a length in between the two.The photo looks much wider at the bottom than it actually is, I think. This was how I envisioned it.
I wanted a roomy,light weight jacket that would fit over a warm sweater to wear in the fall, especially to take to Ottawa with me (I always go to Ottawa in mid October and end of April, and never seem to have the right outerwear with me). So I made size medium. Mistake,. Way too big! Sad because I had meticulously altered my pattern using my Craftsy classes Adjusting the Bust and Adjusting the Shoulders and Back with Katherine Cheetham . I highly recommend these two courses, by the way.
I know, you're probably asking "What! You didn't make a muslin, AGAIN? " Nope!
I ended up taking off the sleeves, redoing my alterations for narrow sloped shoulders for size small , re cutting my sleeves and upper bodice front and back in small and that made all the difference.
I didn't want double breasted. I cut the front as was and then used part of it as the front facing. I expected this to result in a single breasted style but not so. I ended up with somewhere in between.
Because of this I had to give up the toggle closures I had planned. They just wouldn't do. I decided on bound buttonholes and leather shank buttons instead.
I opted for no collar because I didn't have enough fabric for one but I like this look. I can use different scarves to style my jacket. The bias trim is faux leather . I made it myself. I would have preferred real leather but I didn't have any.
My pockets come from V 8065, an old favorite of mine. Details on how these are made are at Diana's Sewing Lessons. I changed them up by adding a classic welt opening. The flap is faux leather but the pocket circumference is a trim I had in my stash.
The cuffs on the sleeves are constructed differently than the pattern instructions. I wanted the trim at the top of the cuffs so I sewed them from the wrong side , brought them to the front and stitched in the ditched on the outside where the trim is .
I decided not to line my coat. I could have saved a lot of time if I had. Instead , I finished each seam a la Hong Kong with a silk/cotton animal print.
Now for a pic
I know that's a lot of photos, but it was such fun styling this coat!
My jacket is very comfortable and just right for those days before the bitter cold strikes.
And that's the end of the story! (More pics here.)
I hope you too had fun sewing this week. Come back again to see more from