Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Polka Dots for Two Little Girls

My son Jeff just left after a 10 day visit with Riley and Poppy. I feel a bit bereft today although it's awfully nice to get back to normal and my DH and I have gone back to  enjoying our latest Netflix obsession, "Heartland" If you love horses ( or even if you don't)  and want a really good and wholesome series to watch, you won't be disappointed with this one. Every episode is so good and enjoyable !

Before , their arrival, I started little dresses for my two little cuties. I tried for the first time shirring fabric by using elastic thread in the bobbin of my machine. I loved this process and can't wait to use it again..

I didn't use patterns for these dresses but only guessed how wide to shir and luckily I got it right. I started by using a picot edge finish for the upper bodice .

Since I use push button sewing, I was able to let both Riley and Poppy help sew the back seams and I then finished the hems and made the shoulder straps. My little sweeties were so happy with their dresses that Riley wore hers three days in a row and Poppy insisted on wearing hers four days!

The fabric is  a coral rayon /lycra and therefor very comfy for active little girls. I used a straight stitch with a stitch length of 3 for the shirring.

So here they are, Nana's little sweethearts.





And with face painting done by Nana. ( I may have discovered a new skill !!)




Riley had a hard time to leave me this morning and was on the verge of tears as I was buckling her booster seat when my darling Bob came up with a solution. A $10 bill! What kid doesn't love money !!

Now it's on to sewing for my 18 year old grand-daughter before she leaves for university in Vancouver. I doubt tears can be averted in this case, at least for me!! Sigh!!

Happy Sewing to all of you!




7 comments:

Linda T said...

Oh so cute--the dresses and the girls! I particularly like the little one's styling--one shoe on and one shoe off! :)

Ann Brodsky said...

Your granddaughters are just adorable. I don't blame them for wanting to wear the same dresses for 3 and 4 days in a row- they are great dresses! I bet you've planted the sewing seed for them.

Bonnie @ sewplus.blogspot.com said...

Love the girls' dresses. I would like to do more shirring, no little girls at my house...........maybe I can borrow one or two!
See me @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com

Angela said...

Adorable, and I'm glad they had such a wonderful time with their grandparents:)

Sharon said...

Your granddaughters looks so gorgeous in their new dresses and you had better be aware of more face painting happening.

Summer Flies said...

The girls and dresses are beautiful! I love the polka dots!

Unknown said...

Hello, Diana -

Your granddaughters and their new dresses are absolutely adorable!