Saturday, August 1, 2015

A Culottes Outfit B4861 and V7340


Jumpsuits and culottes. I've always loved them both. Anytime since I reached adulthood that either came in style. I was right there. It didn't matter to me that jumpsuits were hard to deal with when using the bathroom, they were worth it. Culottes sometimes came with matching jackets that I thought  formed such smart suits.

So far, I've resisted the jumpsuit urge,  although I have the perfect ITY knit for a version that's increasingly in my head.

I remember culottes getting very wrinkled when made out of linen or cotton but I've had this great faux linen for a while and I love this fabric for pants because it drapes so well and  they hold their crease and never wrinkle. Perfect for culottes!

So here is this week's outfit.




The culottes are an OOP Butterick pattern, B4861   , View E . I cut a size 12 and they were just about perfect except I decided to add one inch of length to the crotch depth because I like my waistbands to fit above my muffin top.



I love the pleats ,which you can't really see because of the print and the width of the legs is perfect for me.



The waistband is finished in  a cute point which adds a certain "je ne sais quoi! "



 The top was a UFO which has been living in a basket for 9 years!!
The pattern, this OOP Vogue 7340



Isn't it pretty!




The fabric is embroidered linen and just beautiful. I actually have a few yards of this same linen in a beautiful buttercup yellow in my stash.

I love the collar on a band  in this pattern. It's perfect and I pinned it to my cork board for use with a soon to be denim polka dot shirt.

                          

This is a great pattern  (my DGD wants one in red !) and everything worked well, even this curved facing that is top stitched to look like a band.








The green isn't the exact match to the green in the culottes but it's in the same family only lighter so I think it works.

I've already worn this outfit twice and it is so comfortable and fun to wear. I love it it!



I'm not crazy about the tied closure. I may change that to buttons and snaps, but we'll see.


My pics were taken on our new deck which has been built since May but the railings just arrived and installed last week. We are loving spending time out here!

I hope you are all enjoying summer weather but are still finding time for our favorite passtime !

 

8 comments:

Rosalind Clayton said...

Looks fantastic! As usual a beautiful job!!

Faye Lewis said...

Love it. Gorgeous outfit!

Sharon said...

Lovely summer outfit and your new deck looks amazing.

Summer Flies said...

Thats a great outfit on you. Your deck looks very inviting!

Lyrique Threads said...

You make such pretty, pretty clothes!

SewCraftyChemist said...

Oh it DEFINITELY works! I love this outfit!!! And really love the side tie.

patsijean said...

I love your outfit. You did a wonderful job on the collar. I have a pattern for culottes too, and the fabric I've chosen is a leopard print stretch sateen. It should be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these patterns for sewing. I love it. You've done a fantastic job.