You all know I love stripes and since I'm presently trying to add pieces in the beige, brown family, this light brown stripe cotton lycra piece, bought in Montreal, popped out at me from my shelves.
I've gotten into the habit of sketching my ideas before committing to a garment and in the end ,I came up with this top.
I'm not in love with the French dart combined with the stripes but I otherwise love this well fitting top, thanks to Burda patterns' great fit. The only alteration needed to this one originally was a narrow shoulder adjustment which was easily achieved. Look here if you are curious. No FBA was necessary on my regular size 12 . No extra was needed at the side seams either.
I drafted my own neck facings for this pattern after the muslin stage. I've added a quick post on Diana's Sewing Lessons on my foolproof way to keep the facings from curling out to the right side and it works wonderfully well. On this top , I sewed the facings to the inside, pressed them to the outside and with the help of Wonder Tape , top stitched them in place. I should add that I interfaced the facings with Fusi knit, my favorite fusible interfacing.
Bias striped "yoke in both front and back,
3/4 sleeves cut on the bias and vertical stripes cuffs.
And a vertical stripes band at the hemline.
I also made a pair of natural colour heavy cotton sateen jeans using a combination of my Sandra Betzina jeans pattern and McCall's skinny jeans both OOP.
I'm hoping the fabric which was quite pricey, will soften with wash and wear because they look very wrinkled as they are now.
And I think one picture is enough of an every day outfit !
Happy Sewing from