Saturday, June 27, 2015

McCall's 6559...Summer Sewing in Outfits

 
My one goal this last while has been to sew up my stash and what better way than in outfits. I had to plan for this. I  pulled out patterns and fabrics  I wanted to use and then started sketching ideas as they came to me. Here are three of the sketches with corresponding garments .





And here is the sketch for what I'm showing you today
I used M6559 which I had muslined previously. I made the dress View D and the shrug View B



I didn't photograph the shrug but here's the dress.




The fabric is rayon jersey for both pieces.

 I cut my usual size 12 but added 1/2" at the side seams. I wouldn't have needed the extra and ended up with one inch side seams.

 I widened the shoulders by a half inch because my muslin showed me that they didn't cover my bra straps.I also did an FBA.



To match the stripes I both  pinned and hand basted the side seams and it was well worth it.



I added a casing and elasticized the waist to form  a blouson effect. For a belt, I made three long tubes, and braided them together at the back. Cute ,isn't it!



I find myself not really liking maxis that go right to the floor and I think the length I chose is more flattering for my figure.



I used a twin needle to finish the hem because I knew that otherwise I'd end up with popped stitches.

The neck and arm bands were finished using the black strpe from the fabric.

As for the shrug, can I tell you a secret? I finished all edges with Steam-a-Seam. It remains to be seen if I'll need to sew them later! Oh, and I shortened the ties byfour inches. It really was too long.




I really love this outfit which I wore  to a seniors pageant where I was a judge and got loads of compliments.

Here's a sketch on what I'm working on now.



Happy July 1st to my fellow Canadians !




11 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Love your maxi and the fabric you used.

Faye Lewis said...

Love your maxi and the fabric you used.

Amanda S. said...

What a great outfit! Love the braided belt and solid arm and neck binding. I made the star version of this dress several years ago and loved the fit. You've just reminded me to dig this pattern back out and make another version.

Anonymous said...

Great outfit! The braided belt looks like a fun touch. And your sketches are fabulous - I envy you the ability to draw your vision on paper.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm working on versions of M6559 now. I'm finally happy with a fit that I like. I've been turning my necklines down but really need to think of a version using the binding. Love your version!

velosews said...

Your maxi and jacket look great togther.

Sarah Liz said...

What a wonderful sewing time you have been having - everything looks superb, as per your usual wonderful standards. Best wishes...

Vicki said...

The belt is really cute and makes the outfit! Clever to draw up plans beforehand.

Jeanette said...

I love your long striped dress. It's exactly what I'd like to wear during the summer.

Unknown said...

Very smart maxi dress. I think the added changes you made to the original pattern really "made" this dress perfect. You are all ready for the summer weather. We just have to be patient. :)

Barbara J said...

The dress is wonderful and the braided belt is a great touch. I am inspired by your drawings. I can't draw worth a damn but even a rough sketch matching pattern to fabric could go a long way to keeping me organized and on track. I would consider the fashionary book but am put off by the willowy figures. I could use something that looks a little more like me. Time to investigate a personalized croqui, I guess.