Thursday, March 12, 2015

A White Transitional Jacket

I wanted to make another version of Silhouette Patterns Zoanne's Cape but this time with raised armholes and corresponding sleeves.My sewing group really liked my first version and a couple of the ladies are interested in making one  and I wanted to fix that too low armscye problem.




 I stood in my sewing room staring at my fabrics until my eyes settled on a piece of white quilted in black  fabric I had used for this top and which I bought when I used the rust version for my sister's jacket made last fall. I bought the fabric at Fabricville but it was available at Marci Tilton.com  The white is sold out but there are other colours.

Here is my new favorite jacket. I absolutely love it. The photo just doesn't do it justice.



Of course , as you see I made many style changes to the pattern but the front, back and neckline were unchanged except for the length .

Here is what I did.

I used the armscye  and upper sleeve  from a different jacket pattern (V1264 ).

I  added 7 inches to the  length.

I wanted to  follow the lines of the design in the fabric so instead of the slanted front, I dropped it straight down but  the overlap is the same as the original.

I added slanted patch pockets.






The collar is a a rectangle instead of the shaped one of the pattern and measures 6" by the length of the neckline.I curved the corners and trimmed with self fabric.



For the buttons,I stacked white buttons on black  but instead of buttonholes, I used snap closures.








I used no facings. All the edges were  finished  by wrapping various strips of  fabric ,then  stitching and trimming.




It was  a fairly quick sew . The changes I made to the armscye and sleeves made all the difference. I've worn it and have gotten plenty of compliments from friends and strangers alike.


This is just the right jacket for this time of year which is finally warming up.


And it's roomy enough to wear over cardigans and bulkier tops too.



Next up, I'm working on a really cool faux leather suit that I want to wear to the ballet  (Swan Lake)  next week with my sister.

Happy Sewing from


16 comments:

Sue S said...

You looking stunning in your new jacket. I can see why it has become a new favorite.

Unknown said...

Très jolie veste, les modifications sont réussies! bravo.

Vicki said...

What great fabric. I thought it was a knit. Excellent!

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Very smart jacket. I love the angled pockets and the way you matched the stripes.

Sharon said...

You have really made this pattern yours, love your changes and the fabric is amazing.

Ann Brodsky said...

What a great fabric you found! Very nice placement of the fabric design. So glad Spring is here!

Linda T said...

That is definitely a home run! I love the fabric, color--everything about it and you look fabulous wearing it!

Amanda S. said...

It's a work of art!

Rosalind Clayton said...

Looks fantastic! You always do such a beautiful job!

Enid said...

Love it! And how lovely you look wearing it!

shams said...

Fabulous! And it looks even better on you!

Lynn said...

This is a great looking jacket!

Lilian said...

Don't know where to look first..this jacket has so many lovely details...just love it!

Unknown said...

I love this jacket on you. Amazing work

Ann Made Studio said...

Now that is worth trying the pattern again :) beautiful jacket!!

Sewingadicta said...

Love the jacket, dear Diana. Your changes on it are so clever, the end result is spectacular, certainly I would say a compliment you if I "stumble" with you on the street.