Wednesday morning, (that's my Big Sewing Day), I had planned on making New Look 6807 out of this poly sheer animal print from my What Goes With Brown fabrics, but out of the blue,I suddenly decided to make Vogue7829
I've had this pattern for a long time and I always intended to use it to make a lounger but I felt like a challenge that day and this pattern and fabric were both a challenge.
First I agonized over whether I could ignore the fact that it was meant to be a bias garment. In the end I decided to take the chance and cut it on the straight grain and it worked out just fine..
Next decision was which sleeves to make. I finally decided on View C but minus the bottom pointed layer.
Should I use the tied closures or did I want loops and buttons? I went for the loops and these pretty buttons I've been dying to use and which were gifted to me by a non-sewing friend.
The gold in the buttons is not as bright as the gold threads in the fabric but I 'm just ignoring that.
I cut the shoulder area a size 12 with my usual sloped and narrow shoulder alteration and the side seams at size 14. I enlarged the bust dart about 3/4". I shortened the front and back pieces a total of 3" in two different places and cut the blouse out hoping for the best.(As you probably know by now, I rarely make a muslin). Here's the finished garment.
It's pretty isn't it? But you're probably thinking it doesn't look exactly like the pattern cover. Well I decided to cut off some of the length. I know it's a no-no but I just cut off about another 4" right across the front and on a slight slant at the back. It was just too darn long and it did not flatter my height.
I used French seams everywhere (even where there was gathering to be done),except the set in sleeve which I serged. The result is a nice clean finish.
I also added a modesty panel between the left center front and facing.
For the sleeve casing, I used clear elastic so it wouldn't show through and it doesn't!
What would I do differently if I were to make it again?
I think I would add a full facing to include an undercollar if I were to use a sheer fabric again. I'm not in love with the single layered collar .It doesn't know what to do with itself..
The second change I would make is to take the seam allowance off the front shoulder and add it to the back shoulder because ,as in many patterns(at least I find it so),the shoulder wants to slip toward the back.
Having said all that, I really like this blouse. I wore it today with brown pants I finished last week from my most favorite pant pattern (V2873 ), and I really like it.I wore it to church and to lunch afterward and my friends complimented me on it.So did my husband as he was taking these pictures. He also said:
"I can't believe you can make stuff like this!"