Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Chunky ,Warm, Soft and Cozy Topper




I bought this chunky knit fabric at Fabricland in Ottawa. The colours include cream, tan and a yummy caramel.It's a wool blend and I love it.



To decide what to make with it, I sat and stared at it for a while with a pad of paper and  a pencil in my hand. (That's my new way of planning a garment and it works really well.).

After a while I could see a draped neck and that vision would not go away. That meant a pullover and of course it had to be loose and I wanted to use big wooden buttons somewhere on it.. And Vogue 8605 came to my mind. But why? It's not a pullover! But where there's a will there's a way!

Enough ramblings. Here's what I came up with. I used the back piece of the pattern as is but eliminated the collar and cut the front by adding a 5/8 inch seam allowance to the center front line. I top stitched CF and CB seams.




For how I achieved the draped collar (with the help of the illustration of the collar of Burda Style, Oct. 2011,#135 ) look here.

  


I added patch pockets on the slant which added a little bit of style to this simple design. They were a bit slouchy so I shirred them with the help of clear elastic on the inside.I added the big wooden buttons I had my heart set on.



                The sleeves are about 3/4 length which I like.                             The back is unadorned.


I've worn my new topper a couple of times and it has been a hit. Adding shoulder pads made it fall nicely from the shoulders.The collar hangs just right and acts as a scarf really.This is just the way I like to dress for a casual occasion. And it's warm too.





More pics here!

I hope you found time to sew this weekend! 

More later from

12 comments:

pdiddly said...

great looking top which looks really cosy too. Thanks for the instructions on your other site.

Lisa Laree said...

Cute cute cute!!! Lovely and inspiring!

Sharon said...

Oh it does looks cozy and love the colours, perfect for casual occasions.

Amanda S. said...

Really cute! I love all the varying directions of the fabric. Very high end and cozy looking!

shams said...

Very cute and a great use of that fabric!

gwensews said...

Bravo! I remember you making that pattern previously. I like how you changed it up.

Claire S. said...

oh nice ! It looks SO cozy !

Vicki said...

Very creative! The different directions of the stripe with the collar and pockets makes it interesting. Looks very cosy and the colour is lovely on you.

pdiddly said...

Hi Diana, just in case you didn't realise, you are the featured member on PR today - enjoy.

gingermakes said...

Wow, this looks so cozy and warm! What a great top!

Mrs B said...

i absolutely love it Diana ,you inspire always!!!!!

Ann Made Studio said...

Love it Diana. The style is perfect for this fabric and it looks great on you....also perfect for these cooler days we are having :)