Sunday, April 2, 2017

Vogue 9240 in Navy and White stripes

Happy Sunday Everyone ! I'm so happy you stopped by because I have such a fun dress to show you

I've had this beautiful two sided cotton knit , which I bought at Mood Fabrics.com a couple of years ago when our Canadian dollar was more at par with the American dollar. It would never tell me what it wanted to be until now. As soon as I saw this pattern, V9240 , I heard my special Mood fabric calling " This is it ! This is it !!! "

The pattern...




...and the dress on Antoinette.



Details:  ( I made a mock up in a summer fabric and made an FBA  and added a bust dart to the side piece . I felt the sleeves were a little snug so I dealt with that )





The fabric is a double knit, double sided  cotton in dark navy and white.

The pattern description stated that the silhouette of this dress was fitted, so I cut a size larger and that worked for me. I don't really think this is a very fitted style however .
I used my knit sleeve for my SFD sloper and I'm a little sorry because I feel they are too loose. I first used the mini stripe for the sleeves but I didn't like the result so I took them out , turned them the other way and I like that's much better. 

This is a straight style as you can see and is not shaped at the waist. I was tempted to add back waist darts and still may .





The only changes I made was to do my usual fitting alterations and I decided to make the back all one piece . I didn't think I'd like the back as it is in the pattern. That also omitted the need to match the stripes at center back .



Here's a  closer look at the neckline.




 This is really a very simple dress to make. The mock up I made is a summer version which I'll show you when I finish it . I can think of all kinds of fabrics to use and turn it into tops too. Oh what fun ! I love sewing, don't you ? Lol.





Please let me know what you think. I'd love to see other people's version of this pattern too so if you make it , please let me know.

I have a couple of really cool things to show you another time so come back next week, won't you !

More later from




13 comments:

sewingkm said...

You are right - the perfect pattern for your fabric! I like the easy, loose fit which will be very comfortable and looking chic. Karen

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I just bought this pattern so it's great to see it made up already! I like how you reversed the fabric to achieve the look on the front. Loosely fitted is what I'm looking for though I can understand why you'd want to add some darts to the back of it.

Coco said...

So so cute. Isn't it fun when fabric and pattern just jive? Love how you used the two sides.

Summer Flies said...

I really like it. I have very similar fabric in the same colour way and this is a perfect use of the fabric. I like the style on you a lot.

Ohhhmy said...

Stripes can be tricky, but look what you've done--BEAUTIFUL! Every change you made is perfect. Love it!

Sarah Liz said...

I'm glad you are back blogging, but we do all need a break now and again...
A stunning dress, visually very flattering, so the darts may not be needed. And in stripes like this, a classic. It looks lovely on you.

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

This is a lovely dress. Great use of the stripes to create a very flattering silhouette.

Cathryn said...

I adore this dress! And it's a very flattering silhouette!

Ann Made Studio said...

Beautiful dress Diana! I love the fabric and the style looks wonderful on you.

Unknown said...

Stripes, classic.
Beautiful.

Nan said...

This is so pretty. I always love the patterns you choose and your choices of fabric.
Thank you so much for what you share.

Kay said...

This is a pattern I wouldn't have looked at twice. But seeing it made up in the fabrics you have used, I love it! The denser/darker striped triangles give the illusion of waist shaping while still allowing a loose and comfy shape. It's very flattering, and at the same time what some call "secret jammies" for its comfort. ;-) The neckline also is a very flattering shape - sort of a crew neck, but relaxed. I think it's a shape that's particularly flattering on a woman over 30 or 35.

Makes me wonder how many other great patterns I've missed for lack of imagination .

Thanks for sharing.

Jenny said...

Very cute casual dress! Love the fabric combination.