Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Quick Project and About Claire Schaeffer's Couture DVD's

Well Riley and family left two weeks ago and I have to admit I was at a loss for a few days afterwards. I guess I was suffering withdrawal symptoms after hogging my little precious for two whole weeks! But this week it's back to business.

I got this



in the mail last week and have been watching and I'm absolutely thrilled with these videos by Claire Schaeffer. I'm learning so much. There are little things in there that should be so obvious but that I just hadn't thought of before.

One example is when making spaghetti straps using bias strips, Stretch the strip as you sew it to avoid thread breakage after the strap is completed.

Now I probably should have known that but???

Another is when using beeswax to strengthen thread for hand sewing, press the thread between tow sheets of paper towels to stiffen the thread.

I never really knew that before!!!

A third is when pressing seams open especially in wool fabric where you want a really
crisp result, dampen the the seams with a wet sponge!

Isn't that a great idea?!?!

Claire Schaeffer inspired me to go rummaging in my husband's wood stash where I found a nice piece of corner trim which my Dh turned into a pressing stick for me.
. See!!



I still need to cover it because Bob glued the two pieces together and so i can't apply heat to the bare wood.


As for sewing, I've made a few things since Riley left. I'll just show you one for now. It's a nice cool lounger for a warm summer night after a bath.




The fabric is a rayon batik and the pattern is New Look 4694 a tops pattern that I lengthened for this project.I also added an inch to the side seams for comfort.

I lengthened the sleeves as well and used a decorative stitch to accent the neckline.






I love the results. The only little problem is that it is a little too low in the neck so if I ever decide to make a top, I'll have to raise it a bit.

I've been looking at your blogs and enjoying what you are showing.

More later from



6 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

Hi Diana, it's so nice to see those precious little faces every day :))
and they do leave a big empty space when they go don't they.

Your lounger looks great.I love the fabric.

gwensews said...

Love your lounging attire. It sure beats my worn out, holey, ratty housecoat I've had for years! The DVDs sound wonderful. Claire is such a mentor.

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

Your blue lounger looks so soft and comfy!

Gail said...

Thanks for the link to the Claire Schaeffer DVD. I have two of her jacket patterns but haven't had the courage to sew them up.

pdiddly said...

Diana, I have the same DVD, its great isn't it.

I bet you are really missing your hugs - my little granddaughter is 13 months now, and I love every minute I spend with her. Her dad left for Italy today for several weeks work - I know he is beside himself at the thought of not seeing her - little ones do pull on our heart strings.

Very nice lounger - you will look real Glam :-)

Irene said...

I just had a "why didn't I think of that" moment while reading your post. I've been wanting a stick to press open seams - longer than what I have on my point presser and clapper. I tried a fatter dowel, but that rolls - no good. Then I see your picture and... I most likely have something similar lying about (heaven forbid should we throw away a scrap of wood!). Thank-you!
Wonderful lounger!