Sunday, October 4, 2015

Back From Paris

I'm back home  ( well I've been home for a while )and as always the trip seemed too short but am glad to be back .

I went to Paris with my DD, a friend of hers and this friend's aunt. We were all very compatible and had a wonderful time or we would have if it hadn't been for the weather which ranged from cloudy, a little bit of sunshine, rain and torrential downpours ( this last one being after climbing at least 250   steps to the top of the Arc de Triomphe only to get completely soaked and visibility being nil ! )

                              I know it looks beautiful but this was taken on a different day.

We visited the Louvre,





Versailles,




.D'Orsay Museum. ( I LOVE that place !)


I could have stared at this Renoir for hours it is so beautiful!


,

Notre Dame,


Being  Catholic,I  was quite  moved when I saw this statue of Pope John Paul II




the Conciergerie , one of my personal favorite things to do in Paris (where Marie Antoinette was imprisoned before dying on the guillotine),


This plaque is placed just beside the obelisk at the Place de la Concorde designating the spot  where the guillotine that took the life of many including Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in 1793, stood.


and many more .

We took a tour of the champagne region ( in the pouring rain ! ) and were suppose to have dinner at the Eiffel Tower but guess what? The tower was closed because something ! ? had fallen from somewhere up there and while we were waiting to find out if it would reopen, we were hit by another hurricane-like rainfall and wind storm which lasted 15 minutes.


 All the people waiting for the same reason  ,including us,were huddled together  under umbrellas which everyone shared. I had a young man taking shelter under my rain poncho ! but what could I do ? There was no question of us finding shelter because we couldn't walk against the force of the wind! We were then suppose to go on an evening cruise down the Seine but by this time we figured we'd drown so we cancelled.


Needless to say, we had some good times too and one of my very favorites was my solo trip to Montmartre



 to the fabric district, Oh my what fun I had there! And it didn't rain once that day !
And you know I got some goodies. I'll show those to you next time along with some wardrobe pics so please come back .

On Saturday, My daughter and I took a leisurely walk along the Seine. The weather was finally fine and we enjoyed just looking at the beauty that is Paris.

This is Pont Alexandre III which is very ornamental , to say the least,


Just look at some f the details.



From the bridge we walked past le Grand Palais which has been the venue for several Fashion Shows, (Chanel, Dior) watched on You Tube. It wasn't open so we peeked inside .




 and on to the Champs Elysee which is very large and very commercial. We saw MacDonald's and The Gap and to tell the truth  I found it disappointing . I forgot to take pictures.

Traveling back home was an ordeal when we missed our connection in Montreal and had to fly stand-by five hours later.  Needless to say I was glad to land in Fredericton and see my DH . 

In spite of the yucky things that happened on our trip I would love to go back one day and I probably will. For though I`m glad to be back in my routine and have some interesting pieces planned for fall. 

Happy Sewing and more later from






7 comments:

Vicki said...

What a shame! I better not tell you then that the view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe is the best view of Paris (in my opinion). But it sounds like you still had quite the adventure!

Linda T said...

Yikes! What a trip! Glad you had some fun times despite the weather. Welcome home.

Faye Lewis said...

Whattttt Paris! Hope you had a wonderful time. I love Renoir.

Ann Brodsky said...

Sounds like a fantastic time, even with the weather. Great story about sharing your rain poncho! Welcome home.

shams said...

Weather aside, it looks like a great trip!

Su-z said...

I I envy you! What a great trip. One of my favorite places...I do wish I'd had a chance to shop for fabric. Thanks for sharing your photos. I also love the Orsay.

Ann Made Studio said...

Unfortunate the weather was not great but looks like an awesome place to visit.
See you Thursday ;)