Sunday, February 22, 2015

A Little Jacket....Silhouette Patterns Zoanne's Cape


Peggy Saggers recently did a webcast on her pattern, Zoanne's Cape which isn't at all a cape !?!? ??. She showed several versions  of the jacket and I was inspired to try my own since I happened to have the pattern on hand. My goal was to present it as a project for my winter Sewing Group as it is a simple pattern with only four pieces.

 Here is my version.


Peggy doesn't include facings in this pattern but I added facings (scuba knit) which I pressed toward the right side and stitched down to resemble piping. The photos don't show that very well!

I also added patch pockets and my toggle closures with leather ends are from my stash. My Janome sewed through them like butter.


The fabric is from Vogue fabrics.com and is a wonderful quality ,double knit jacquard. I wasn't as pleased with the pattern as I was with the lovely texture of this one and decided to use it as a trial garment not really caring if it ended up wearable. Well ,I've worn it a couple of times and have gotten lovely compliments including from my husband so I have changed my mind about it.

Now, about the pattern. It has a flaw, as far as I'm concerned. I know that Peggy uses one inch shoulder pads and I did add 1/2" ones ( it isn't the 80's after all!) but even so, the armscye on this one is way too low IMO. It comes out being a little uncomfortable through the chest but because my fabric is quite stretchy, I can put up with that.


For this reason ,I decided against using this jacket as a project for my group ,but I made the mistake of showing it to them anyway and they loved it. A couple of the ladies would like to try it so I'm going to fix the armscye, thus the sleeves too, make another sample, (you can imagine I have way too many clothes) , draft a pattern for each of them and let them make one .








It looks oriental don't you think?

That's all for now.I hope you found time to sew this weekend!



14 comments:

Linda T said...

I have that same fabric in my stash. I'm thinking it came from Fabric Mart. It's still waiting for my inspiration... I have found that I usually end up cutting the armhole and sleeve a smaller size. I find the Silhouette pattern for the size I'm using has armhole and sleeve larger than I like. Your final version looks wonderful from my view!

Unknown said...

Your jacket turned out very nice! I hope you wear it a lot more.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Your fabric is awesome! Sorry about the low armhole but I'm sure you'll be able to work it out for your group.

debbie said...

Love the jacket.

I'm the same as Linda T. I have to use a size down on her armscye and sleeves. Did you adjust for the difference in shoulder pads? That would bring it up 1/2". Looks like not enough but it would help some.

shams said...

Oh, that looks great! I LOVE the fabric.

patsijean said...

I do like Silhouette Patterns and also watched the video about this pattern. I liked it very much. I've made her #600 Classic Blouse about 4 times. I did not notice a problem with armhole, but Peggy is the first to admit that changes to the pattern to adjust to individual bodies is necessary.

I do love the jacket. Your fabric is beautiful and quite appeals to me. It appears that you have a winner and will have more with the revisions.

Sarah Liz said...

The jacket looks wonderful - and with the striking fabric and your excellent trims the armscye problem is not noticeable except for the fact you showed it to us :). One inch shoulder pads - good gracious, I didn't even wear them in the 80's, they were too big. Half an inch is plenty!

Sandra said...

You look lovely in your new jacket. I love the fabric and the ways you personalized it with your scuba knit trim and toggles. I'm sure you'll be successful in modifying it to bring the armscye and sleeves up.

Mary Beth said...

This fabric is from Vogue Fabrics? I practically live in this store...Is it from online or the actual store? Is it still available?

Carol in Denver said...

I saw a photo of this jacket made slightly oversize in white linen and it was to die for. Your jacket shows a completely different possibility in one versatile pattern. Thanks for the warning about the armhole.

Rowsella said...

Her patterns tend to have a too large armscye for me too. I noticed it when making the classic blouse and a couple of knit tops as well.

I always have to remember to redraft them.
Your jacket is pretty.

Jean said...

Such a nice jacket -- I really love the fabric, and the fact that you combined with the scuba. I can't imagine wearing 1-inch shoulder pads, though!

velosews said...

As soon as you're tired of this jacket - send it my way. It's wonderful.

Ann Made Studio said...

Love your jacket Diana. I also made this pattern up last year and had to do some adjustments..and didn't really care for the end result!! .I do like the style and may have to try it again :)