I've fallen in love all over again with tailored shirts these past months and for this one , I used B5786 , again.
I used the collar and sleeves of View D, the front of View A and totally changed the back as I've found that the back is really too long for my liking in both my other versions. I simply cut it exactly like the front.
First things first though.This shirt is cut on the bias so my striped fabric was an ideal choice, sort of. It's a rayon woven and looks like faille.However,it was rather difficult to handle on the bias !
I decided to add a straight grain band down the front.
To do this, I cut off the self facing , leaving a 5/8" seam allowance. I then cut the band the width of the dark stripe bordered by the white stripes plus the SA of 5/8". I sewed it with right side of the band against the wrong side of the shirt front. I pressed the band to the front and with a little help from Steam-a-Seam, secured it in place, then edge stitched each side .
This was a little tricky to do because of the bias cut of the shirt front. It worked out OK but is a little askew. I must admit.I should have stabilized the edges of the shirt fronts before I added the band,
Another little touch I added was to sew a straight grain band across the shoulders by centering it evenly on either side of the seam. Again, I used Steam-a Seam to help out.
The pocket got a band as well.
The collar was cut on the bias and pieced at the center back so the stripes would fall in opposite directions at the points. The band was cut with the stripes on the vertical .
As for the length of the shirt, I added about 3" to the front, then matched the back length at the side seams and then mirrored the cut on the bottom of the front.
I think I like this shirt...a lot in spite of its imperfections.
This piece is a great match for these cream scuba knit yoga pants made this summer, ( SP3400)
I think this is a great piece to add to my already extensive wardrobe ( LOL) and it was a fun make. I really enjoyed working out all the little details for this one.
Next up is a coat for my sister's 70th birthday. I gave her a drawing of it at her party and have since made a mock-up to make sure it will fit correctly. I'm using Burda 7072. It's a great coat pattern and I will probably use it for me sometime.
I hope you found time to sew this week.