The fabric is a poly/lycra bought at Fabricville. I sewed size C, I did my usual FBA.I didn't need any extra at the side seams. I really like the fit but while we're on the subject, for tops like this one, here's what I do to get a flattering fit.
I always baste the side seams and try the top on inside out. I then shape it (drape it) to my body by pinning especially at the waste. Only then do I sew it permanently. This works really well for me. (I forgot to take photos)
In the instructions, Sandra says to zigzag over string to achieve the shirring and that works really well. Once the shirred center front is sewn to the side fronts, you remove the string. This technique produces great looking shirring, don't you think?
BUT! For both my tops, I've redistributed the shirring so it ends farther down (just above hem level and so there isn't too mauch across the bust because ,to me, that's not a good look.
When the top is assembled and before adding the neckline band you might be convinced it's never going to look right, but the neckline on this pattern turns into a really nice squared shape. It calls for a neckband and for it to show but I turned it to the inside and top stitched. I just like it better that way.On the black patterned one, I added a selvedge trim by fusing it with Steam-a-Seam.
I really like this top with my palazzos for the PR Mini Wardrobe Contest. A good match ,isn't it!
Here it is with the jacket and pants.
Now I have to write my pattern review and make my collage to post at the contest site. I'll show all the pieces together next time.
I had intended on posting my sister's denim suit this weekend but it's not quit finished yet so it will have to wait.
I do hope you found time to sew this weekend.
More later from