Monday, September 23, 2013

Vogue 1275....The Last Piece to my Mini Wardrobe

I've been wanting to make up this pattern again ever since my first version a couple of years ago.Vogue1275 is a Sandra Betzina pattern. As a rule, I find that lately her patterns have become too weird for my taste, but this one I really like.




 The fabric is a poly/lycra bought at Fabricville. I sewed size C, I did my usual FBA.I didn't need any extra at the side seams. I really like the fit but while we're on the subject, for tops like this one, here's what I do to get a flattering fit.

 I always baste the side seams and try the top on inside out. I then shape it (drape it) to my body  by pinning especially at the waste. Only then do I sew it permanently. This works really well for me. (I forgot to take photos)

In the instructions, Sandra says to zigzag over string to achieve the shirring and that works really well. Once the shirred center front is sewn to the side fronts, you remove the string. This technique produces great looking shirring, don't you think?

BUT! For both my tops, I've redistributed the shirring so it ends farther down (just above hem level and so there isn't too mauch across the bust because ,to me, that's not a good look.



When the top is assembled and before adding the neckline band you might be convinced it's never going to look right, but the neckline on this pattern turns into a really  nice squared shape. It calls for a neckband and for it to show but I turned it to the inside and top stitched. I just like it better that way.On the black patterned one, I added a selvedge trim by fusing it with Steam-a-Seam.



I really like this top with my palazzos for the PR Mini Wardrobe Contest. A good match ,isn't it!



Here it is with the jacket and pants.



Now I have to write my pattern review and make my collage to post at the contest site. I'll show all the pieces together next time.

I had intended on posting my sister's denim suit this weekend but it's not quit finished yet so it will have to wait.

I do hope you found time to sew this weekend.
More later from



13 comments:

pegsewer said...

This is so good looking. Can't wait to see a collage of all together!

Sharon said...

I love this top and all your pieces could live at my house.

Vicki said...

Nice top. Looks great with the other garments.

Jenny said...

Very nice! What asmart, casual "suit" look. Thank you so much for the encouragement while I was making my striped jacket. :-)

Ann Made Studio said...

I t looks great on you Diana. The outfit looks very smart!

Donna D said...

This tops drapes beautifully and comfortable. Do you sew this with a serger or with stretch stitches on a regular sewing machine? Your Mini Wardrobe is a very classy ensemble!

Linda T said...

Lovely! I don't even remember this pattern,but I really like it and especially your version. I'm cleaning the sewing room today and hope I have time left to sew a bit,.

Faye Lewis said...

Congratulations on completing your swap. You did a great job.

Linda L said...

I made this top before. I do like your suggestion about redistributing the shirring more so not all at the bust level. You did great job with neckband; that was a real problem for me. Looks good with the pants, perfect color combo.

velosews said...

Diana, you look great. And all the best with your sewing students too.

Jean said...

What a great top on you! The neckline is really pretty. I love the other pieces in your mini wardrobe as well -- especially that dress from your prior post. Can't wait to see your collage!

Sewingadicta said...

That top is so cute! I love the way the draping meets in the middle, it's a great design and you look great with the whole outfit. Magnificent!

Unknown said...

I adore that top. It's the kind of piece that you can dress up or dress down... perfect for going from daytime to evening. Beautiful fabric choice too.