For the past few months, I've been carefully trying to not sew anything too faddish (is that a word,I wonder?) or too outlandish, This week, I decided to make an exception because sometimes ,you just have to go for a little fun.
I 've been wanting to try McCall's 6280 for a couple of years and this fabric has been wanting to become something for just as long.
It's a cotton knit (no lycra) that looks like a batik print. I decided to try colour blocking. I had a bit of leftover matching stripes from the same fabric collection.. I also found a piece of very stretchy cotton denim that matched quite well.
This is what I came up with. Cute, I think
I did have to make some changes to this pattern.
I looked on Pattern Review and found one review which suggested that this was a loose dress, very roomy so I new I'd want to shape it to my body.
I made View C and ended up cutting size 10 above the chest and 12 below. I made a smaller than usual FBA.
I didn't need any extra at the side seams . I sewed the back darts deeper and shaped the center back seam as well as the .side seams at the waist.
I raised the armholes about 3/4" and the neckline 1/2" and added and changed the facings to bands.
The length was perfect for my 5'4" height.
I do like this dress but am not in love with the odd pocket. Another time, I'd replace it with some other style of pocket and put one on each side.
I would like to try View A without the one sided shawl collar ,this one in colour blocked solid colours so I could take advantage of the opportunity to do lots of top stitching.
More later from