Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tamara's Mini Wardrobe,Summer,2009

Well, I worked for three weeks on these pieces and was a bundle of nerves wondering if Tamara would like them and if they would fit. To my amazement,I sent the parcel out (to Ottawa from New Brunswick) by regular post on Monday and she received them on Thursday.Not only that but each piece fit!!.She said it was like Christmas and was very excited and pleased with everything.

The first piece I made was the jacket from this pattern (Vogue 8232)



Originally, it was suppose to go with this royal blue dress from my last post.
But later, I decided to add sleeves to the dress. Well,DD can still wear the jacket and dress together if she wants.



I used cotton twill and made two changes to the pattern.
First I added one inch to the front so that I could add these pretty big blue button and buttonholes.



The second change was on the sleeves. This twill was not stiff but an adequate bottom weight fabric. Thus, the raglan sleeves tended to stick out. To tame this, I formed a pleat at the hem and added a button and this simple step solved the problem.




Here is the dress and the jacket together. What do you think?




The next piece I made was a top using this pattern.( By the way, Debbie Cook has the directions for making an FBA on this pattern here)Is it OK for me to post a link like this?




I had never made anything with a twist on it but I found it quite easy,especially since I used a rayon/lycra which was quite lightweight.I want to make DD a long sleeved dress with this pattern because she really likes the top.




Actually.I'm not crazy about rayon/lycra.It is a little too see-through and clingy for my taste.In Tamara's parcel,I included a white RTW cami to wear under her twist top.



Next up was this skirt made from the same New Look pattern as this one I made for myself. DD chose this fabric so I was quite confident she'd be pleased with it. It's a light, stretchy, cotton poplin.



Instead of gathers on both front and back, I used pleats.



Here are the twist top and poplin skirt together.Tamara agrees that this style is slimming.



The last two pieces were made from a stretchy cotton denim I had in my stash, for DD to wear on casual Fridays.I decided to make the vest as an afterthought because I had a little of the fabric left over from the skirt.

I bought this pattern back in 1995 or so and had never made it.



The vest ended up being shorter than it showed on the pattern jacket so it's a little too short. Tamara agrees with me on that . However if she wears it with a shirt like this RTW T-shirt I picked up for her,tucked in , I think it's wearable..





The skirt is from this pattern (OOP) and is like this skirt. DD loved this one she said.

Well,this has been a long post. I hope you were able to stick it out to the end.I made up a folder of all the pieces if you want to have a look here

I hope you found time to sew this weekend.This week I'm making the jacket in this pattern as a store display.

13 comments:

Kim said...

Hello Diana,

All the pieces are wonderful. I understand now why Tamara told me it was like Christmas when she received them.

Thanks for showing us!

Kim

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

If I had received a package like that in the mail I would have thought that Christmas arrived early too! What a wonderful Mom you are and what a marvelous wardrobe you created!

gwensews said...

Those are really very nice outfits. What a lucky daughter! I imagine she is thrilled. That was a lot of sewing. Very nice job.

Jada said...

Very nice outfits!I see why she loved them.

Joyce in NC said...

All the pieces are wonderful. I'd love to receive a box full of goodies like those.

Chris said...

Tamara is very lucky, all the pieces are gorgeous. I especially like the yellow/grey outfit. Very nice!

Ann Made Studio said...

Diana, what a good Mom you are :) She's a lucky girl,you did a fantastic job on her mini wardrobe. I love all the pieces and look forward to the jacket. I'll look for it next time I'm in Fabricville.
I am making some progress with my sewing room, I have soooo many boxes to unpack, I know I now how to slow down the purchasing and up the making :)

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

Your daughter is very lucky to have a Mom who can and will make a nice little wardrobe for her. Very nice pieces, great job!

Claire S. said...

Christmas for sure ! What a gift! I'm sure she was thrilled with her "care package" from Mom. They're lovely pieces, Diana.

Aminat said...

Definately Xmas in August. She's one lucky girl having a mom like you. All the outfits look so beautiful.

Tee said...

What lovely pieces. Tamara is a lucky girl. I know she will look great in all of her new outfits!

ClaireOKC said...

Isn't this so much fun to get these kudos for all your hard work? It's so worth it...next is pictures - that's the real thanks!

Tamara said...

Wow! All those outfits are so cute. She is one lucky girl to have such a wonderful mom to make all those clothes for her!