Sunday, March 17, 2013

My Anne Klein Jacket (V1264), At Last

I spent many, many hours on my Ann Klein jacket, almost four weeks.  A reminder of what the pattern looks like.


V1264

I loved this pattern from the first time I saw it . Here is my version


The fabric is a wool/poly blend for which I payed $7.50 in total! The leather is from an Isaac  Mizrahi skirt I bought for $10.00 at Value Village. It looked brand new and I had a hard time to make myself cut into it.In the end it helped that it was too big for me.

I made a muslin first and found that I had a diagonal drag line from waist level to bust. I decided to change the bust dart to a French dart and it helped but didn't get rid of it entirely. I have a feeling I didn't need my FBA on this one .


I used my teflon foot and a regular 80/10 universal needle to sew the leather because I didn't have a leather needle and surprisingly , that gave me a perfect stitch!

I lengthened the sleeves but not quite enough to make them full length . Why? I have no idea!


I lowered the neckline by 5/8"all around because I don't like a too high neck and I really like the way the collar sits.

I added a center back seam  because I think a center back seam with top stitching makes a coat or jacket look more expensive.


Now for the lining! I love my lining! I think it really goes well with the outer fabric. It is a polyester charmeuse.I bagged the lining but hand sewed it at the sleeve band.


I used grosgrain ribbon as a trim.


The inside of the jacket is where I spent many hours hand sewing but I really enjoyed the process.
I used all the techniques that I described here and here on Diana's Sewing Lessons.


The closures are large covered hooks. The pattern calls for only one at the neckline , but I used four  stopping at the bottom of the leather piece.


I had to stitch in the ditch to join the leather piece to the facings for the hooks to work.

I decided to add a chain ,which I've had in my stash, at the bottom of the coat and it really makes it hang well. I used dental floss to sew it so now the bottom of my coat smells like mint! Lol!


Although I wasn't sure I liked this piece as I was making it because it seemed quite shapeless, I really love the finished garment. It feels expensive on, you know, like a well cut coat that hangs really well.




That's all for now. Next, I'm going to finish a UFO. Just not sure which one.

Hope you found time tom sew this weekend! More later from



14 comments:

Dixie said...

This jacket looks great on you, Diana. I like the contrast of the leather with the pattern in the fabric. Very nice job!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You did an amazing job on this! Love that you refashioned a thrift store find for the leather parts!

Gail said...

Beautiful garment. I think its an heirloom.

pdiddly said...

I have had this pattern for ages and its great to see your version - beautiful.

Sarah Liz said...

I am so glad you where brave enough to cut into the skirt that was too big for you (although I understand the feeling) - the leather trim really enhances the texture of the jacket, as does the lining and even the hook and eye closure. It was four weeks well spent, I think. Congratulations

Bunny said...

Beautiful jacket that I am sure you will ge years of wear from.

gwensews said...

I like that pattern too. Yours is super looking and a good recycle at the same time!

Evelyne said...

What a fantastic coat - I love it, especially the lining and leather details. Thanks for posting all your techniques to get the perfect finish.

Sharon said...

Amazing jacket and it looks fantastic on you.

Linda T said...

One great jacket! What a deal on the leather. Looks perfect on you! Well done.

Ann Brodsky said...

Beautiful jacket! It was definitely worth all of the time that you invested. The lining is great. Thank you for the tutorials on coat making- I learned so much!!

Robin said...

Beautiful coat/jacket. Looks so professional. You are so right about the back seam--it also helps the coat to hang better.

Vicki said...

Loving the leather with the wool. L recently bought an old 80s mans leather jacket from goodwill with the plan to make a bag (one day). I think the jacket is big enough to have some left over for something like this.
BTW, I am having trouble posting comments on your blog via Bloglovin for some reason. I clicked the link but it didn't go anywhere?? I posted these comments by going to your blog via your url. More than one way to skin a cat :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice!
Mary in Thailand