Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Marci Tilton Jacket and a Marfy Top

First, I want to thank you for the great comments you left about my last outfit. They are very appreciated! I wore the two pieces together to church today and got some very nice compliments.
An added plus is that both the dress and the jacket are very comfortable and fit very well. Don't you love it when you achieve a great fit!

Today I have my first Marfy garment ever ,albeit an easy pattern to sew, and the Marci Tilton shirt/ jacket ,V8982, promised last week. I'll start with the latter.


The fabric is a 50% linen /50% polyester that looks like denim and has a wonderful drape.I think it was ideal for this pattern.

This was not complicated to make. I made a size 12 but did an FBA and added a bust dart.  I also did a Narrow Shoulder Adjustment of 1/2"and I could have taken off at least another 1/2".

I changed the little slit at the cuff of the sleeve from the seam line to the front of the sleeve. I then added a button above the slit, just because.

 I used four buttons instead of three because I thought that was a better look for the size of my buttons.

I top stitched everywhere using a double needle with one white and one red thread. I didn't use top stitching thread though so it doesn't show up as much as I'd like.

I really like the neckline and the back section that extends to the front and sort of dips down.

The fit is quite loose as stated on the pattern envelope but the picture on the front makes it out to be at least semi fitted. I need to trust the description and not the photo on patterns. I know they must pin away excess fabric for photos. I could make this easily into a double breasted garment. For this pattern I wouldn't have needed the FBA. I placed the buttons 2" from the outside and that makes it fit better.

I consider this  a shirt rather than a jacket. Next time, I want to use a heavier material and make it into a jacket. I'll also try to figure out how to make it a little more fitted. Oh and the sleeves were quite long and I'll have to wear them folded back!

I recently purchased the 2014 Marfy catalogue which comes with free shipping and 20 free patterns! I'm in love with many of the designs. The free ones include some pretty cute things as well. I decided to try this tunic out for size.

I usually cut a size 12 with a little extra at the sides for the Big Four pattern companies. For Marfy I decided to cut size 46 even though my measurements are closer to size 44. I was afraid these patterns might run small but at least this one didn't and I had to take in the side seams.

This was a very simple sew. I omitted the crescent trim over the bust but I otherwise made it like the picture. I did add a band to the sleeves because I wanted to repeat the border print. They wanted to stick out so I added little darts and that fixed the issue.I also added a neckband highlighting  half circles as an extra design element. Pretty cute ,huh?

The fabric is a cotton /spandex bought in Montreal last fall . It feels so light and wonderful against the skin! I love it! Worn here with my new slim pants made using the Silhouette Patterns Yoga pant which I tapered below the knee. I love these!

This would make the best summer nightie and I intend to make at least one before too long.
As far as a top,  for me it doesn't do a thing. I wear it belted and blossomed so it wasn't wasted fabric and it will be comfortable on a hot muggy day this summer, but loose... I don't think so!

I hope you had a great time sewing this week. Next week I'll show you a couple more tops that I'm adding to my everyday wardrobe because I'm ever aware that I need to sew for my real life and not an imaginary one !!!

More later from

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Vogue 1385 #2 and a Dress

I finally got photos taken so here is my second Sandra Betzina jacket,  V1385 

Don't you just love the neckline!

I was very lucky to find just the right purple buttons too!

This jacket really isn't hard to make. As long as you mark those neck darts well and follow the directions, they come together quite well. As a matter of fact, two of my sewing students have opted to make this as their project.

Last time, I had made size C and found it was too big so this time I cut Size B but I made a Full Bust Adjustment and the fit is just right!

For the coordinating dress,  I morphed the top of V8684 and the  Rachel  Comey   skirt , V1247 by joining the skirt to the dress at the waistline.

I added more gathers at the shoulder because when I muslined this dress ( I made it into a nightie ), I found the ruching was way too sparse. BTW, I love the French dart on this dress. It works really well.

Not a good photo but I wanted to show the pocket detail.. The Rachey Comey skirt is A-line but I made it into more of a straight skirt because it looked better like this.

The fabrics both came from Vogue Fabrics. The jacket is a cotton sateen and the dress is a ponte knit.

This is more of a spring fall outfit than a summer one because the ponte of the dress is quite thick but I might get some wear out of the jacket paired with pants for a sportier look, like this.

There are several tops cut out and in various stages of construction right now in my sewing room. I'm very keen on this  Marci Tilton top/jacket, V8982 in particular. So you'll see that for sure next time.

Until then, Happy Sewing from