Sunday, February 16, 2014

UFO # 1 for 2014

There has been NO sewing going on here (well, except for my sewing students who spent the whole day here yesterday ), because of bathrooms renovations and the ensuing mess! However, I do have a UFO to show you.

This was my first sewing project of 2014, a pair of tailored pajamas. I started them last spring and let them age in a basket. At Christmas, I wished I had a new pair of jammies so I got to it right after and here they are.

The fabric is a nice cozy rayon twill with covered buttons, a bias trim and piping  made with a quilting cotton. I have no idea which pattern I used. It wasn't in the basket with the pj's.

I've worn these several times for both sleeping and lounging and I love them. It felt so good to finish a UFO that I've sort of promised myself to do one a month.We'll see.

I didn't get to church today because of bad weather (what else is new?) so I cut out a muslin for a coat I had hoped to make out of wool I bought in Paris. The coat will now wait for next fall, but I hope my muslin will be a wearable one.

I have high hopes for a good few days of sewing this week before I have to start cleaning out and moving my Sewing Room to it's new location in the basement Work is suppose to start on it next week! Yay!

I sincerely hope you all sewed something great this week.

Oh, and before I go, you want to see something scary?!!!!!!!!!!! This was taken five minutes ago!

Sunday, February 9, 2014

McCall's 6844, is # 1

I  read on Pattern Review that McCall's 6844 was the best pattern of the year. Coincidentally, I just finished View B.Most people have been making the peplum style but I'm not sure the peplum is  for me.
Here is my version.

Isn't the fabric gorgeous ![ I bought it  in Montreal at Goodman Carlyle on Rue St. Hubert which is  a great store packed with all kinds of fabric including high end ]. It's probably a blend but it acts like a medium weight stable cotton knit.

I made a size small above the bust and a medium for the side seams and I needed the extra. The sleeves are not really roomy but that's because of the knit I used. I planned on wearing this with a lightweight RTW turtle neck but it is more comfortable with a sleeveless shell.

I used Steam-a-Seam for the hems before finishing them with a twin needle and as well to attach the band facings on the inside . I stitched in the ditch all around the band but it caused it to hike up ,so I removed the stitches and will trust that S-a-Seam will hold it for the long run.

The front band  is suppose to fold over itself and I may decide to tack it down in a few strategic places so it will stay put.

I made a boo boo doing my  FBA on this one. I forgot to consider that my knit was not very stretchy and I used Louise Cutting's  method without a bust dart and I definitely should have added the dart . Too late. My cardi has drag lines which bother me  and spoils my love of this piece.

I really like this pattern and will try it again but will add a bust dart next time.

I also have  new version of S2603 finished with a lot of changes. My other versions are here (with no style changes) and here (with changes to the collar and width of the front drape).
For this version, I removed the collar all the way to the end of the front sweep because I didn't have a lot of this fabric and I also had to remove a few inches off the downward sweep as far as the bottom.

The fabric is a soft two-sided sweater knit  left over from another project. I don't know the content but it pressed really well so it must be a blend of poly/rayon or acrylic. I had no trouble folding  the edges over twice and stitching. I didn't even use Steam-a-Seam for this one.


I'll be wearing this a lot because I just love it. I wear a lot of cardis because I'm always cold and I live in Canada. Enough said ,I think.

I hope you've all had a chance to sew to your heart's content this weekend.

More later from